How to Pay Off Your Auto Title Loan Faster
January 11, 2019 | By Louis Tully
If you’ve never heard of one before, an auto title loan is a type of convenient short-term loan that uses your car title as collateral in exchange for emergency cash. The best part? For the entire term you are repaying the loan, you’re still able to drive your car.
Not only that, but qualifying car owners could get up to $15,000 in as little as 30 minutes! For theses reasons, many people find these loans very useful when face-to-face with a financial situation. If this sounds like just what you need, there are some things about these loans that make them very different from traditional loans.
Top 4 Ways to Pay Off Your Auto Title Loan Debt
The main difference is the amount of time you have to pay them back, which is a worry many people have about title loans. While this is an understandable concern, it’s also one that’s a little overblown.
Title loan businesses are almost always willing to work on payment plans if necessary, and there are plenty of other options as well. Many people take on side jobs or temporary gigs, so they can pay back their auto title loan faster. Here are 4 easy ways to clear your debt faster and improve your financial situation!
Drive for Uber or Lyft
Becoming a driver for Uber or Lyft is something that more and more people are doing to earn a little extra money on the side.
If you use your vehicle to get the extra cash you need with a title loan, you can still use that same vehicle to help you earn back the money to repay your loan. Uber drivers make between $8 and $20 an hour on average, and that’s not bad for a job where you can totally set your own schedule.
Throw a Yard Sale
Does your house feel cluttered? There’s an easy way to fix that: throw a yard sale! Selling your clutter is an easy way to pick up extra cash fast while improving your living space at the same time.
While one man’s trash isn’t always another man’s treasure, it is often worth a few dollars. Add enough of those together, and you’ll be in good shape and able to pay off your title loan faster.
Here’s a couple simple tips to help make your yard sale successful and profitable: once you’ve set a date, place an ad on Craigslist at least a week in advance. The day before, be sure to set up poster board signs and balloons to guide people to your sale. The day of your yard sale, be sure to organize your items in a way that makes it easy for people to look for what they want.
One way of making money on the side that most people don’t even consider is house sitting.
You would think a job that consists of simply spending time in someone else’s home wouldn’t pay well, but house sitting can actually pay quite nicely. People are willing to spend more than you think to make sure their home stays safe in their absence.
Pet sitting is a natural extension of house sitting and one that you may actually find even more enjoyable if you’re an animal person. Kenneling is a universally unpopular proposition for those who travel regularly, or even just once a year on vacation. For just a few hours a day of walking and playing with their pet, you’ll be able to pick up a pretty penny.
In the age of the internet it’s easier than ever to find people who need the skills you have. Sites like Fiverr and Upwork are dedicated to matching freelancers with employers. Even if you’re not a professional, a lot of the freelance jobs you can find online are completely doable. Most jobs you won’t even have to leave your home for. Some of the most common work includes writing reviews, transcription and data entry.
What makes freelancing especially attractive is the ability to set you own hours and upscale or downscale your workload depending on your own schedule and needs.
Preparing for Next Time so You Don’t Need an Auto Title Loan
For the future, if you want to prevent having to come up with ways to pay off another emergency-driven, short-term personal loan, consider some of these tips to help improve your financial situation this year:
- Skip the ‘take out’ nights: Dining out isn’t only bad for your wallet, it’s bad for your health too. By using your kitchen (and the right recipes) you’ll be sure to save on the food bill and the doctor’s bill too.
- Think ‘short-term’ for groceries: Ditch the mile-long grocery lists this year. By making frequent trips to the ’10 items or less’ line, you’ll save money by not letting anything go to waste.
- Shop generic: Brand loyalty doesn’t always pay off. Sticking with generic versions will technically allow you to pay less for the same stuff you were getting before.
- Use the above tips year-long: All the side-hustle tips above are great ways to earn extra cash no matter the reason. Find something you like and stick with it!
- Use cash: Paying cash at the register will help you to spend more carefully and can even help you avoid overdraft fees too! Plus, you could save all that spare change at the same time.
- Save, save, save: Make it your goal this year to save more. Start off with a small goal like $100. Then, once you’ve reached that goal, set the bar a little higher. Small achievements lead to big victories!